Scott Schieffer has more than 11 years’ experience as an estate planning and tax attorney and more than 15 years’ experience as a Certified Public Accountant (“CPA”). He provides value to his clients by combining the knowledge and expertise that he gained from practicing at large law and CPA firms with a personalized approach tailored to each client’s needs.
He focuses his legal practice on estate planning and tax, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, probate, IRS representation and business formation. In addition, he is a licensed CPA and prepares individual, corporate, partnership, trust, gift and estate tax returns for a broad range of clients.
Upon graduation from the University of Virginia School of Law, Scott began his career in the Dallas, Texas office of K&L Gates, LLP, practicing as an associate for Kathryn G. Henkel. While there, he represented high net-worth individuals and families in estate planning and probate matters. More recently, Scott worked at the boutique law firm Meadows, Collier, Reed, Cousins, Crouch & Ungerman, LLP in Dallas, focusing on estate planning and tax matters as an associate for Alan K. Davis. His representative legal experience includes the following:
- Drafting wills and powers of attorney for estate planning clients;
- Representing executors in probate court in Dallas, Collin and Tarrant counties;
- Drafting revocable and irrevocable trusts to achieve asset management and tax results;
- Responding to IRS requests for estate tax audits;
- Drafting gift and estate tax returns; and
- Forming limited liability companies (LLCs) and limited partnership (LPs) for entrepreneurs and families.
Prior to his legal education, Scott practiced as a CPA in Dallas. He began his career at the international accounting firm Arthur Andersen LLP following his graduation from a joint Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Accountancy degree program at Baylor University. In 2002, he obtained his CPA license while working at KPMG LLP. He earned the honor of speaking at CPA swearing-in ceremonies in Texas by scoring one of the 10 highest scores on the CPA Exam. As a tax associate, Scott’s clients included individuals, families, business owners, and investment partnerships. He has experience preparing federal and state tax returns for individuals, partnerships, LLCs, S Corporations, C Corporations, and trusts. Finally, Scott comes from a family of CPAs; his father, aunt and uncle have over 100 years of combined experience serving clients.
- Attorney at Law, Licensed in Texas, 2006
- Certified Public Accountant, 2002
- Achieved one of highest 10 individual scores on the Uniform CPA Exam among all candidates in Texas
- University of Virginia School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2006
- Senior Editorial Board member, Virginia Tax Review
- Baylor University, Master of Accountancy, 2001
- Outstanding Graduate in Business Law
- Baylor University, Bachelor of Business Administration, 2001
- GPA: 4.0
- Highest Ranking Male Graduate in Business School